Monday, September 14, 2009

The first present Groovy has made me...

Disclaimer:
Once again i'm moving from Dustin word. Please, don't worry, i'm not a sort of maniac, it's just a coincidence! =)


In my presentation post i wrote that i'd like to talk about Groovy, Grails, Patterns AND Php and Drupal.

And Dustin in his encouraging comment showed an interest in the first three subject. Well, i totally agree with him!


Actually i hate Php (and i just started to stop hating Drupal CMS).


I come from a Java experience. Event spent time on the SCJP to dig deeper. And as you may guess this is enough to love Groovy.
And Design Patterns, you know, are the vocabulary of this work, and a wonderful exercise to understand what Object Oriented Programming really means. (I want to speak about this in another post...)
I've found a common feeling of repulsion between my coworkers and friends, about web programming and i feel this too.
But i have to admit that our feelings were born with the early days of web programming, full of confusion, improvisation and stress caused by the (actually never ended) browsers war. I bet that these same feelings moved people to invent stuff like Struts, Rails and Grails... And because those people hated web programming so much they managed to realize wonderful products that relief us from the sufferings of spaghetti web programming.

But due to my new job requests i'm stuck with php even with those good products around!

Panic!

But listen what i'm discovering in my desperation: that some of the Groovy features i liked that make me consider java as obsolete are present... I recognize it, i do not know how long those features are there but i discover them only today .

And i have to admit the probably i'm able to understand and use the native syntax for maps, closures and parameters defaults without difficulty thanks to the time spent learning Groovy...


In italian we use to say that this kind of silly discovers are like the discovery of hot water.

Sure it is... But i just happy for path that casually drove me through all these step and that took me here.


What's the lesson? Well, maybe someone raised in Php, could make the jump to the Java/Groovy world with less pain than i could ever figured...

No comments:

Post a Comment